Saturday, October 1, 2011

My 1st DIY Project....

Ok... So, I have been struggling with how exactly I can decorate on a budget. Being in our house a little over 5 months, I should be further along then I am. I feel like I am wandering aimlessly through all of the local decorating stores... Michael's, Home Goods, Tai Pan Trading without ANY luck. I leave each store and think to myself how on earth am I not finding anything?! I think the main problem is I am cheap and can't bring myself to buy anything I feel is over priced.

This left me with only one option. Try and make some of the stuff I have around the house work for me. Which left me taking baby steps towards DIY projects. The project I decided to tackle first was our bedroom lamps. I new I wanted to accent the room with a teal color and I knew our lamps had to go or be spruced up... I bought a can of light blue spray paint from Walmart and my project was under way. Unfortunately, I had a few stumbles along the way. I will start by showing you exactly what our lamps look like before.

Before
Ok... So after I did the prep work, I was off and spray painting. I felt like a baby taking my very first steps. I was stumbling along the way and covering myself with more spray paint then the lamp. After the 1st coat of paint, I realized I was not IN LOVE with my product. The color wasn't right, so I thought I will paint them a different color... Maybe ivory?! This caused an even bigger mess then I expected. The paint was not compatible with the original blue I painted on the lamp. Who knew paints could not be compatible?! Not ME, but I sure do know now. ;) Below is a picture of what I was left with... I was panicking at this point thinking my husband will never let me do another DIY project if I can't fix this.

During...Not LOVING what I was getting!   

Oops!!!! That doesn't look right. I did the unthinkable and admitted I was at a loss and needed some assistance. I asked my husband to help me. He said I could sand it down and paint it again. Thank goodness. This was news to my ears. I ran to Home Depot, bought some sand paper and a new spray paint. I was in the process of recovering the mess I made. It turned out to look just like I had hoped. With new lamp shades and beautiful new paint. Our room is really starting to look more and more like what I was expected.

AFTER... SOOOOO Cute!

I am officially HOOKED. I will now becoming obsessed with revamping the little details around the house. Of course, I will still have to add new items to the mix since I have never had to furnish a entire house before, so I am in need of more materials. Anyways, it will be a fun process. I am starting to really enjoy the decorating process.

No comments:

Post a Comment